
Why do girls always go for the bad boy? Why, when there is a perfectly nice, polite, caring boy out there who likes you very much, are you always tempted to go for the boy who needs a haircut, is rude to his mother, and is generally an asshole? I think it has something to do with the way the bad boy looks at you, as if you're the only girl out there who can 'tame' his 'wild spirit'. It's intoxicating to know that around you the bad boy becomes the sweet boy. It's like a drug, which is actually quite an accurate way to describe it. When you're on the drug everything fits together like a puzzle and you can't see the splitting in the seams. It's when you start to come down that you feel like shit, you think 'why am I doing this', and you vow to yourself that you're going to get out.
But then the drug starts whispering your name again and you smile and fall into its trap. I hate that I'm becoming one of those girls that I always despised. I used to look at you and think, you're pathetic. He dumped you. Get over it. And I'm realising now that it isn't that simple. It's so much easier to say 'get over it' then it actually is to do it. Looking at a massive hill and a bicycle, it's easy to add two and two together and see the end result. But when you're puffing up the hill on the bicycle, lungs screaming for air, muscles seizing in paroxysms of pain and torture, suddenly it's not so easy to see the end result. I know where I'm going. I just don't know how to get there.
And it's not even like the bad boy is all that good. Thinking back on it all you remember is the good parts, the wonderful parts, the 'we were so perfect together' parts. But then you start remembering the not so good parts, like how he was kind of a douche to your friends, and how he did that annoying thing with his tongue. It's just as important to remember the bad as it is to remember the good. Otherwise you end up with this godlike memory of a flawless relationship and you can't remember why it ended because everything was so perfect. That's bullshit. And it's important to realise that it's bullshit. In disney movies and comic books and in everything you can think of, the best stories are always the ones in which good triumphs over bad.
Girls, I'm begging you: go for the good guy.

No comments:
Post a Comment